[nycphp-talk] bsd apache php mysql help

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Tue Dec 31 14:53:21 EST 2002

--- Shawn Lawyer <shawn at shawnlawyer.com> wrote:
> Morning All,
> i agree with what was said below about being a developer or a sysadmin,
> it's the same comparison with being a graphics designer or a developer.
> what you may be over looking is the benefit of at least knowning the tools
> the designer(s) use, because you will then understand the needs of the
> designers, and how to comunicate with people who often have so idea what
> you are saying.

I agree, to an extent.  The two (dev/sysadmin) are related, and go
hand-in-hand, to a point.

> you see i'm not trying be as sysadmin because i am a programmer,

Right... and I'm not trying to be a design/layout person, but in most
circles, you're not lucky enough to have a perfectly balanced staff.

> i just need to be able to have more control over the enviroment then i have
> with a shared hosting account.

Exactly... and that means, to some extent, knowing a bit about sysadmin work
(for instance, in FreeBSD use adduser to add a user, if you're root).

> i care nothing about many sectors of being a sysadmin, security being the
> one issue i have no time to deal with. as i say do what you're good at and
> the rest will follow.

Sysadmin isn't my bread and butter either, but it is something that's always
needed, and as a result I've picked it up.  As a developer, you can depend on
someone else (if you're fortunate enough to have the resources) to setup
things to meet your needs, or you'll need to learn a bit about it.

NYPHP.org tries to offer the best of both worlds.  For one, giving the
support developers need to get a system up and running, and providing the
framework for letting them do what they're best at, code.  But at the same
time, having what so many wish they had; a "personal", knowledgable sysadmin
"on call" to learn from and work with.  Plus, with such a close-knit
community, often the sysadmins are developers as well, which is even more
valuable.

Maybe it's just because I've always had root (since I've also been the
sysadmin on the boxes I develop :) but a simple user account is rarely
enough, especially when developing from the ground up.

User accounts are a dime a dozen, and it may be a good way to get started.
For instance, people who just want to develop can get a user account on a
shared, generic, system, and as their needs increase, be moved to a more
dedicated environment with the help of other developers and the sysadmin.

> > The main student server still has the gcc version is 2.95.2 , and to get
> > cgi once has to fill out forms with the IS depertment, php forget about
> > it.  But even the servers that are set up for specialized courses where
> > the TA or the professor with have enough sence to put the things the
> > student need on it the general student dont get access unless they are
> > in the course.

Well, hopefully we can work to alleviate this kind of trammel.

> > Having said all that. Most student are in general "unix morons"  the
> > reason being that they never used it.  The environment of choice these
> > days is yes you guessed it Microsoft Visual Studios. NET

That's a shame, but probably because it's just a chore to get a decent UNIX
environment, as alluded to above.

=====
Hans Zaunere
President, New York PHP