[nycphp-talk] Database vs. XML

Eliot Shepard eliot.shepard at the451.com
Tue Jul 16 09:52:45 EDT 2002

How would you store the XML? Flat files? In that case I think you're
going to find that approach a little slow. Relational databases have a
lot of advantages.

There's nothing mutually exclusive about using a database AND XML. You
ideally could store your data in a properly normalized database, write
object-oriented PHP to query it, generate well-formed XML from the query
results, and fold in XSLT to emit HTML.

There are even databases out there that claim to store data natively in
XML (some of which support query languages with better grammar than
SQL). Searching for "Open-source XML database" on Google:

http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLDatabaseProds.htm

http://exist.sourceforge.net/

http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1345

Eliot