[nycphp-talk] Database vs. XML

Eliot Shepard eliot.shepard at the451.com
Tue Jul 16 11:48:05 EDT 2002

That's the central trade-off of using abstraction.

On one hand it's usually simpler and faster (in both development time
and execution) to use domain-specific solutions like the one below.
Quick and dirty, gets the job done.

On the other hand, abstraction brings flexibility and generality.
Decoupling of data from presentation has been a holy grail for web
programming for many years. You could completely change the appearance
of your site, or present your data in a different context, by editing
only your stylesheets. This is typically more of a long-term
requirement.

The one irreducible truth under any scenario is that you should design
your data schema with care.

Eliot