[nycphp-talk] JavaScript List?

Wayne Cope \(Intercart\) wayne at intercart.co.uk
Fri Jul 19 14:58:26 EDT 2002

Sorry to interupt, and I don't wish to sound rude - but this is getting a
little petty.

At the end of the day there are good point and bad points to all languages -
and good reasons for doing some things on the client, and others on the
server.  So long as the security model is sufficient for the application in
hand, and all potential risks given the sensitivity of the data or
functionality being secured are removed sufficiently then who cares what
method is used, or where the validation occurs - it's all application
specific, and there should be no specific rule.  Guidelines yes, but rules
no.

At the end of the day, the chap simply asked for help on some JavaScript -
and he got that off a few kind people out there, and thereafter the whole
issue completely lost it's context and turned into silly banter.

However - to have started a discussion on security issues in general, i.e.
discussing the pro's and con's of client side and server side validation
would have been a good step, but there's no need to be derogative about any
specific languages because that simply leads to people being argumentative,
and constructive criticism is lost.

Bye for now...