[nycphp-talk] Mom and Pop CC Security

Kevin Regan kr7178 at albany.edu
Mon Jul 22 13:53:53 EDT 2002

This is a tad complex, but security and efficiency are always an inverse
relationship.
I don't believe in storing the entire credit card number anywhere. If
this is a mom and
pop shop, then maybe all the transactions will be done at the end of the
day of possibly
bi-daily. I'd set up a routine where the CC# is stored and displayed
with the last 4 numbers missing.
A file with the last 4 numbers and the transaction number is kept
somewhere else, on the
same server if need be. The file could then be printed out. By using the
transaction number
the store owner would know the full CC# without it ever being displayed
on the screen.
Not the most secure method, but add encryption, algorithms to determine
the transaction number,
etc., and this can be much more secure. Otherwise, trojans can easily be
used to steal dozens
of CCs.

Kevin Regan