[nycphp-talk] PHP.NET webmasters

Jon Britton jon at corporatelords.org
Tue Jul 30 17:45:24 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 04:50:49PM -0400, Adam wrote:
> I was judging based on a report that was given in regarding the PHP
> webmasters telling someone they should learn to read and other such
> insults because someone was having trouble navigating their GUI.

The email you sent me off-list, where you called me "an evil moron who
can't read" deeply hurt my feelings.  Everyone, take this as an official
report that Adam's employer is not someone with whom you should do
business.

Of course, I'm being facetious, but the point is made.  Someone says
"they were rude" and the rumors begin.  Assuming the report is even
true, maybe the guilty party at PHP was repremanded for it.  PHP has
done a lot for us, we can at least give them some benefit of the doubt.

> I can very easily see a upper level tech deciding to try out a php
> implementation of a project at say Morgan Stanley, or another big firm
> and having some trouble on the website.  This person emails php.net and
> gets berated...

This is a totally unfair assumption.  You're rumouring anyone who
emails php.net gets insulted, once again with no proof or evidence.  My
point in the original email was simply to be fair and not make
judgements about how an entire organization behaves based on one
speculatory email.

Your response is to speculate that if upper management at Morgan Stanley
has problems, PHP.net will automatically flip them the bird.

That's not fair.  As Oktay (I think) said, if we can all see the email
exchange, we'll decide for ourselves.  Until then, it's borderline
slanderous to continue like this, and without merit.

In closing: If you are fair, judge based on facts and don't
  perpetuate stereotypes and rumors, we'll all be happier.
  I'm not denying they could definitely be completely rude, but
  we don't have any reason to think they usually are.

- Jon