[nycphp-talk] PHP Object handling. A rant.

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 2 14:42:22 EDT 2002

--- Jerry Kapron <jkapron at NewAgeWeb.com> wrote:
> Is it really that bad? ->
> http://www.itchyfeet.org.nz/local/phprant.php

Hardly.  A rant is just that; a rant - and usually overkill (I recently
sent a rant to the editors of the email RFCS - when I read what I wrote
the next day, I felt a *little* bad).

Anyway, rather than picking apart the rant (which way be an interesting
course of dicussion on the wiki - yes, it's stable, but slow), I can
only stress one thing, concerning OO in PHP.

http://www.zend.com/zend/art/mistake1.php#Heading13

PHP is not an OO language.  For the 100% anal-retentiveness that is
true OOP, you'll need Java or C# (I don't even think C++ is considered
kosher in this respect).  That said, OO is really a state of
organization and mind.  I've seen OO code in pure C.  To boot, PHP does
a nice job of bringing some of the fundementals of OO to help you in
this organization.

RantyDave probably wasn't using a modern version of PHP at the time,
and, a modern brain for problem solving (this line sums it up: "...and
would far rather return a blank result than kick you in the head for
not knowing what you're doing.")

You have to be smarter than the computer, RantyDave.

:)

Hans Z.