[nycphp-talk] relative newbie needs installation help

Michael Southwell southwell at dneba.com
Tue Jun 4 17:40:09 EDT 2002

Thanks, Klaus.  This suggestion sounded promising but didn't work.  I
changed register_globals to On and
rebooted.  But I still got the following error:

Notice:  Undefined variable:  HTTP_USER_AGENT in g:\\dneba\\browsers.php on
line 50

Here is the relevant code (it is obvious which is line 50):

<CODE>
Your choice of web browser is the single most important factor in
controlling your experience
of a website.  Your browser seems to be

<?php
   $agent=$HTTP_USER_AGENT;

   $brow="";

   if ($brow==""){
     $pos=strpos($agent,"MSIE");
     if ($pos>0){
       $brow="MSIE";
       $level=substr($agent,$pos+5,3);
       $new=1;}}
</CODE>

I think $HTTP_USER_AGENT is about as basic a variable as you can
get.  Needless to say,
this code works perfectly (within its limitations, which no doubt are
plenty) at http://www.dneba.com/browsers.php.

So there must be something else going on.

At 03:10 PM 6/4/2002, you wrote:

>My first guess is it's a register_globals problem.  register_globals is
>turned off by default in 4.2.1.  CGI vs Apache module shouldn't make a
>difference in this case (I'm assuming you are only using the basic
>variables, such as the post,get,server variables).
>
>As a quick fix, goto your php.ini and find the register_globals
>directive, changing it to 'On'.  If this works, let us know; if not,
>what specific variables does it report it can't find/are undefined?
>
>Hans Z.
>

>--- Michael Southwell <southwell at dneba.com> wrote:
> > I have some scripts that are working beautifully on the host but are
> > not
> > working on my localhost installation (which I thought I had gotten
> > working):  PHP 4.2.1 running under Apache 1.3.24 on Windows XP.  The
> > problem comes in recognizing variables locally, so I get "undefined
> > variable" and "undefined constant" messages.  PHPInfo() tells me that
> > my
> > local Server API is CGI, while on the host it's Apache.  I am
> > guessing that
> > this is the cause of the problems, though I don't really understand
> > the
> > difference.  Can anybody offer an explanation/possible solution?
> > TIA.
> >
> > Michael G. Southwell =================================
> > DNEBA Enterprises
> > 81 South Road