[nycphp-talk] Question

Larry Chuon LarryC at indexstock.com
Tue Jun 11 09:41:24 EDT 2002

I use v4.2.1.  A colleague of mine forwarded me this which makes sense.

Using Register Globals
One feature of PHP that can be used to enhance security is configuring PHP
with register_globals = off.
By turning off the ability for any user-submitted variable to be injected
into PHP code, you can reduce
the amount of variable poisoning a potential attacker may inflict. They will
have to take the additional
time to forge submissions, and your internal variables are effectively
isolated from user submitted data.
While it does slightly increase the amount of effort required to work with
PHP, it has been argued that
the benefits far outweigh the effort.
Example 4-8. Working without register_globals=off
<?php
if ($username) { // can be forged by a user in get/post/cookies
$good_login = 1;
}
if ($good_login == 1) { // can be forged by a user in get/post/cookies,
fpassthru ("/highly/sensitive/data/index.html");
}
?>
Example 4-9. Working with register_globals = off
<?php
if($HTTP_COOKIE_VARS['username']){
// can only come from a cookie, forged or otherwise
$good_login = 1;
fpassthru ("/highly/sensitive/data/index.html");
}
?>
By using this wisely, it's even possible to take preventative measures to
warn when forging is being
attempted. If you know ahead of time exactly where a variable should be
coming from, you can check to
see if submitted data is coming from an inappropriate kind of submission.
While it doesn't guarantee that
data has not been forged, it does require an attacker to guess the right
kind of forging.
Example 4-10. Detecting simple variable poisoning
<?php
if ($HTTP_COOKIE_VARS['username'] &&
!$HTTP_POST_VARS['username'] &&
!$HTTP_GET_VARS['username'] ) {
// Perform other checks to validate the user name...
$good_login = 1;
fpassthru ("/highly/sensitive/data/index.html");
} else {
mail("admin at example.com", "Possible breakin attempt",
$HTTP_SERVER_VARS['REMOTE_ADDR']);
echo "Security violation, admin has been alerted.";
exit;
}
?>
Of course, simply turning on register globals does not mean code is secure.
For every piece of data that is
submitted, it should also be checked in other ways.