MySQL question

tom at supertom.com tom at supertom.com
Thu Jun 27 10:25:14 EDT 2002

I know this is off topic as it is a MySQL question, but I figured that this
PHP list may have the answer (I'm using PHP, if that helps!).

I'm storing both HTML and text in a field, and I now want to search that
field.  My question is: Is it possible to have MySQL ignore the HTML
somehow?  I know that I could grab the data out of the db, then use PHP's
strip_tags and find the text that way, but that takes the performance
benefits of the db right out of the equation.

An example of this would be:

If the user searches for the word 'size', I don't want them pulling back a
row that contains '<font size=3>'

Any suggestions on how to do this with just MySQL?

Thanks,

Tom