[nycphp-talk] yahoo and php

The Rain Maker rainman at deroo.net
Mon Nov 11 19:56:38 EST 2002

Members--

>I'm the Program Chair for PHPCon so I might know a little bit.

Nice to see you here.

>Some of the CNET headlines may have been a bit leading, but Yahoo! is
>indeed actively using PHP for some of its community applications.

I'll keep my opinions of/about CNET to only spoken word. I will say that
CNET is not what I would call a good source of news (Only *slightly* better
than /.) but I digress...

>While
>Michael gave more of the Yahoo! business case for PHP session, Jeremy
>Zawodny (http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/cat_php.html) gave a
>talk on the rollout of one of Yahoo!'s first large-scale PHP-based apps
>-- a 9/11 tribute -- and some of the pros and cons associated with PHP
>applications and needing to serve an absurd amount of pages.

This really speaks more to his experience with MySQL than PHP (Jeremy *is*
Mr MySQL for Y!) but it does speak well of PHP. He also has an excellent
blog entry on Linux vs FreeBSD for running MySQL.

>We had a number of Yahoo! engineers attend the conference and the
>general feeling I got was that PHP is something that has proved itself
>at Yahoo! and will be used in future projects.

Considering that Y! hired Rasums last month... one can make the assumption
that Y! is going to be making a serious commitment to PHP.

>/begin plug
>
>And, as PHPCon will be in New York in the Spring, if anyone has any
>questions on the conference, I would be more than happy to answer them.
>I know I certainly have a few for this group. ;-)
>
>/end plug

I for one will be there.

.r