[nycphp-talk] phpcon-ny

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 14 12:43:54 EST 2002

--- Bryan Richard <bryan at pyzine.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 14:46, Hans Zaunere wrote:
> > Pleasure making your acquaintance.
>
> Likewise.

> > By all means; that's what we do  :)
>
> Fantastic.
>
> Perhaps we can block out some general questions to hash out on the list
> and provide a topic for discussion in future NYPHP meetings.

Sounds good.  By no means do I want speak for others on the list, but I'll
try to get the ball rolling by voicing my opinions.  I encourage everyone to
do the same, as we have a rare opportunity to forge a national conference to
be as informative and useful as possible.

> Tracks. Currently we are blocking out three tracks with the option for a
> fourth if the need arises. Current proposals for tracks are:
>
> - Enterprise
This is always a hot topic, and may include performance tweaking and proper
programing techniques.

> - Application Development
Very broad.

> - XML
Same with this.

> - Education (PHP in an academic setting)
This is interesting to me.  I work at NYU, and depending on the details of
what this track entails, may be able to help out.  There must be others who
work in an academic (non-profit?) setting and are using PHP.

> - CMS
> - Web Services
Hand in hand with XML IMHO.

> Additional suggestions? Comments on those listed?

I always feel that a large part of PHP is left out, that being local
scripting and CLI.  We use PHP through crons to mine data from Oracle/MySQL
and couldn't be happier.  Considering the other language choices and the
various DB support, PHP really is the only answer.

> General Theme. What are the problems that you are looking to solve?

PHP recognized as more than just an "HTML embedded scripting language"

> What are you looking to take away from the conference?

This is a toughy.  Offhand, probably the satisfaction of feeling that PHP has
been launched into the eastern seaboard, and has a strong development
community.  Also, possibly, the continued support of companies, following
suit of Yahoo!.

> Why will you be attending PHPCon East 2003?

Why wouldn't I?  :)

> Sessions and Speakers. Are there specific sessions or speakers you would
> like to see at PHPCon East 2003? Judging from what you have seen of the
> sessions from PHPCon (http://www.php-con.com/2002/agenda.php), where do
> we need to improve?
>
> Keynotes. Rasmus has penciled us into calendar and will likely be
> delivering one of the keynotes. I have some ideas for a second but I
> would like to hear suggestions.

In general terms, more of the same.  Sessions concerning
enterprise/scalability/XML/design/etc are always useful, and always something
that could use reinforcement.

> Tutorials. We did not provide hands-on tutorials for the first PHPCon
> but feel it is a necessary addition.

Very much so.

> What topics are would you be interested in seeing offered?

I'd like to have some of the core PHP developers give an indepth/"hands
dirty" look at performance tweaking, from PHP land and Zend land.  Of course,
a technical look at the session topics mentioed above would be valuable, as
well.

> Are you more interested in 3 or 6 hour tutorials?
The more I can pick their brains, the better  :)

> What are your requirements for attending (material to take away, PC
> provided vs. bring your own laptop, &c.)?

Reference material to take away would be useful, but obviously speakers that
I know know the source.

> I would like to encourage everyone on this list to participate either in
> the discussion, at the actual conference, or as a media sponsor (banner
> exchange, email promotion, &c.).

Thank you, and I look forward to working together in a large and diverse
capacity.

> We had wonderful support from the Bay
> Area with the first PHPCon and I suspect, by what I've already seen on
> both on and off the list, that the local NY PHP community will be just
> as active.
>
> We will be making an open call for papers if anyone is interested in
> participating as a speaker.
>
> And, as before, we will be accepting Birds-of-a-Feather (BoFs) and
> Works-in-Progress (WiPs) up to the day of the event.
>
> I realize there are quite a few questions above, and I don't expect
> answers on everything, but any feedback I can take in will make for a
> better conference experience.
>
> I think we set a good tone with the first PHPCon and generated some
> positive press for PHP and its community. Our goal is to make this a
> very important event for PHP developers and I think we heading in that
> direction. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Thank you Bryan.  I'm sure PHP-Con 2003 East will be great and NYPHP is here
to help, allowing you to put your ear to the ground, here in the East.

Best,

=====
Hans Zaunere
New York PHP