[nycphp-talk] New project

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Thu Nov 21 21:57:16 EST 2002

--- Jonathan Rury <ruryj at vuser.vu.union.edu> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> This isn't entirely PHP related but I thought it might be worth asking
> since it does fall into a similar realm. What I am looking to do is design
> and implement a scripting language that would be embedded in HTML.

Similar? I'd say so! :)  Out of curiosity, what features don't you find in
PHP that is cause for another language?  Or is this just a project for fun?

> The first
> step I've decided on for this is to try to get a hold on is information
> about how one goes about getting a compiled binary and Apache to coexist
> happily.

Strictly speaking, that's CGI, and could be incorpated with any HTTPD.

http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Documentation/

> Obviously PHP is a great example of this

Yes and no.  PHP's strength often comes as a module of Apache, which is
different than a CGI.

> and looking at the source
> will be a good way to start but I was wondering if anyone knows of any
> books that specifically deal with this issue; not neccescarily a book on
> this specific problem but more a reference on dealing with Apache (it's
> the only web server I'll be supporting for the time being - think small,
> right?) and the issues that come with that.

I think you probably want to know about writing an Apache module.  There is
an O'Reilly book on the subject, although probably dated; certainly since
Apache 2.  The book, however, gives a good overview of the Apache request
stages, etc and architecture.  There's also apache_hooks, which is a PHP
SAPI, although looking at the code would give an excellent idea on
interacting with Apache at a lower level.

And of course, probably the best source:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/API.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/developer/API.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/developer/

and http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ as an overview of how A2 does things.