[nycphp-talk] New project

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Fri Nov 22 11:56:29 EST 2002

--- Jonathan Rury <ruryj at vuser.vu.union.edu> wrote:
> > Similar? I'd say so! :)  Out of curiosity, what features don't you find
> > in PHP that is cause for another language?  Or is this just a project for
> > fun?
> >
> Fearful of backlash on a PHP mailing list, I couldn't possibly note any
> limitations I'm finding with PHP. ;-)

Bah... being able to understand the weaknesses is a strength.  There's things
I don't like about PHP, but I'm going to write my own language.  But it is a
fairly complete language, and so I'm curious what you'd like to add, as I'm
sure it wouldn't be trivial.

> But honestly, this is just a little project I'm thinking about for my own
> personal amusement.

Ahh

> PHP will always be near and dear to my heart.
> > Yes and no.  PHP's strength often comes as a module of Apache, which is
> > different than a CGI.
>
> Yes, I'm looking to create a module.
>
> > I think you probably want to know about writing an Apache module.  There
> > is an O'Reilly book on the subject, although probably dated; certainly
> > since Apache 2.  The book, however, gives a good overview of the Apache
> > request stages, etc and architecture.  There's also apache_hooks, which
> > is a PHP SAPI, although looking at the code would give an excellent idea
> > on interacting with Apache at a lower level.
>
> Just ordered the O'Reilly book today! I found it on Amazon.com for $3.10
> through one of their third-party sellers!

Damn, I bought it years back for $50.

> As for the book being dated, we'll
> have to see. Since this isn't a project that's about creating something for
> enterprise use,

There's that word again...

> I won't mind using an Apache < 2.0. [I'm still using 1.3 as my webserver
> anyway.]

Most production (enterprise?) environments still use 1.3.x.  However, A2 is
stable (I'm running A2/PHP4/MySQL4 and although a little flakey on FreeBSD,
fine on Linux).  And, A2 has *a lot* more flexibilty in it's API and
architecture than A1, so while it may be good to get some background with A1,
I'd certainly strive for writing for A2.

A,

=====
Hans Zaunere
New York PHP