[nycphp-talk] OSSuite Released

Kerem Tuzemen keremtuzemen at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 22 16:22:10 EST 2002

Hi Larry,

I'm using Smarty as template engine in our applications. It's much more than
a simple template engine since it also has caching capability. If you check
different sources on the net you'll find out that it's caching engine really
works and makes the difference(I would say it adds at least 40-50% speed
when compared to other template engines). Besides it's pretty easy to learn
and to use. It also has some complex scripting capabilities like generating
date drop downs, or listing data arrays in the templates, etc but I really
don't use them in order to keep all of the code on the php side.

It can also use embedded php blocks in templates but as I already explained,
I don't really like the idea of putting code everywhere in a framework. It
has a perl template engine's flavor; at the beginning this was the point
that made me pick Smarty among its competitors but I then realized
that -after reading some ( :o) in fact, lots of) critiques and benchmarks
about different template engines- Smarty was really the best choice.

So take some time to go over its reference documentation, I'm pretty sure
that you'll love it.

Good Luck

Kerem