[nycphp-talk] OSSuite Released

Oktay Altunergil nyphp at altunergil.com
Fri Nov 22 16:37:49 EST 2002

I have just recently started experimenting with Smarty too. I started by reading almost all of the documentation on smarty.php.net (this url is one of the reasons I picked smarty.. there aren't many other reasons really.. i just wanted to try a template system. i'd try another if I didn't like it)

Pros:

- good docs
- very easy to install ( should be a part of PEAR if  you ask me )
- html designer friendly syntax (if you are lucky enough to have somebody who does design only)
- provides template functions for stuff that you can't really handle in your PHP file but that still require some kind of programming logic.
(i.e: you pass an array in form of ('1' => "option 1 text", '2' => "option 2 text") and it draws the dropdown <OPTION> tags for you including marking the right one as SELECTED )

Cons:
- yet another syntax to learn for the templates
- i haven't done anything complicated yet.. but I can see how you might need to embed some PHP in the template

These are not necessaryly particular to smarty but I haven't used another template engine.

oktay