[nycphp-talk] The Object-Oriented Evolution of PHP

Sterling Hughes sterling at bumblebury.com
Tue Nov 26 13:35:29 EST 2002

> Hi,
>
> Do you have any idea when are they planning to release Php 5? At least beta? I'm really excited
> about having full OO support with Php.

Basically when its ready, PHP5 is a Zend engine overhaul almost the size of Zend Engine 1
(for example, a completely new OP execution architecture), it should be really cool, but
it will require a lot of testing (and the feature set isn't even that stable as of yet).

An optimistic estimate would be EOS (end of summer) next year, but I'm guessing it'll be
another 6 months after that, it really depends if we have PHP 4.4 or start developing
seriously on the php5 tree (which hasn't even been created yet).  One of the things to
keep in mind is that the php portion of v5 (ie, not the engine), will also have some
major changes, most notably harald radi's rpc extension, and hopefully my adt extension,
also a lot of the current core stuff stripped out into PEAR/PECL.  Also, if I get the time,
XML support should be overhauled, but that's a matter of what I'm doing from January on :)

-Sterling