[nycphp-talk] Scaling LAMP Architecture

Kyle Tuskey ktuskey at exostream.com
Thu Oct 10 00:21:27 EDT 2002

You can scale LAMP (minus MySQL which is barely a database) to some
degree, but it isn't really the best way to approach it.  PHP was not
built to be an enterprise language.  The lack of the N-Tier model makes
it great for most sites, but true enterprise level needs would be better
approached with J2EE or .Net.  Using .Net or J2EE (Java) will make the
final solution much easier to use, manage, scale, and deploy.  Though
the word "enterprise" is thrown around too much and often isn't used
accurately, applications that truly are enterprise do need to take into
account a lot of the advantages of the N-Tier model.  PHP has XML-RPC to
all remote calls in a distributed architecture if I remember correctly,
but it isn't very efficient.  For instance, Java's RMI (Remote Method
Invocation) implementation is much more robust for this purpose.  If you
must use PHP for an enterprise solution, use a strong RDBMS (MySQL is
definitely not in this category) and some form of load balancing or
clustering as opposed to an attempted distributed architecture w/ PHP.

Kyle