[nycphp-talk] Scaling LAMP Architecture

David Sklar sklar at sklar.com
Thu Oct 10 10:26:31 EDT 2002

So, Kyle, what is "true enterprise level," then? A billion pageviews per
month? The 800B PV/month Ophir cited at CCI works out to about 300/second,
and I presume that doesn't include images or other static objects.

Tell me, where is the point that MySQL breaks down? Traffic? Functionality?
I admit, MySQL doesn't have, say, the World's Greatest parallel hot-failover
technology, but I don't think anyone would classify Oracle's efforts in this
regard in that way either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for using the right tool for the job, and MySQL
or PHP or Linux or Apache aren't each the right tool for every job. But if
you're going to insist that PHP or MySQL has problems, please point out
actual problems, instead of vague assertions.

Thanks,

David