[nycphp-talk] Scaling LAMP Architecture

Ophir Prusak prutwo at onebox.com
Thu Oct 10 11:04:35 EDT 2002

I'd like to clear up some potential confusion about the term "scalable".
See http://labs.google.com/glossary?q=scalable for some pretty good
definitions.
While we all agree (hopefully) about what scalable means, I think we're
talking about two different things that we're trying to scale.
You can talk about scalability of a web site in regards to:
1. Traffic and users - meaning if we get 100 times the traffic can we simply
add 100 times the hardware without the need make any significant changes to
the code/architecture.
2. Application complexity - meaning if we want to add more functionality to
the site, can we do so without making significant changes to the existing
code/architecture.

While I think it's obvious that LAP scale quite well in regards to traffic
(CCI proves this), I do agree that in regards to application complexity,
there are better solutions than PHP (though much more $$$$ to use and
probably slower)

My 2 cents.

Ophir

p.s.
Regarding MySQL breaking down, I do believe the problem was with
connections, not speed.
It just didn't hold up when trying to keep a few thousand simultaneous
connections to the MySQL server.
Oracle amazingly seems to do ok. It might slow down, but it doesn't
crash/die/freeze.