[nycphp-talk] Scaling LAMP Architecture

chalu chalu at egenius.com
Thu Oct 10 18:16:13 EDT 2002

Kyle Tuskey wrote:

>David,
>
>MySQL lacks in quite a few areas.
>
>1) It has poor performance under heavy loads

Talk to different practitioners of different databases. They will come
up with this type of heresay.  There have been side-by-side comparisons
fo these databases. MySQL does not do badly. But then, if you want more
enterprise DB, think PostgreSQL.

>2) It lacks key functionality

You mean like transaction? foreign key? hot backup? I saw someone
mentioning INNODB.

>3) Data integrity is currently a big problem
>
>4) Large amounts of data are handled poorly

Usually, MYSQL is used by people with less means; no hardware
controller, no fiber, no SAN. Hey, wait a few months. We will have iSCSI
and sanify if MS comes up with the driver. I doubt it, though.

>5) It lacks replication and other enterprise level features

You give me a database which you replicated successfully.  I doubt you
have a good example. I can prove you wrong this area.

>6) Backup and recovery features could use improvement

Support and maintenance is usual weak point for open-source as
developers move on.

>Just use MySQL for a while and try to do anything like a join on more
>than two tables.  It chokes.  Other databases are built to handle real
>and heavy processing, whereas MySQL is built for smaller needs.  Some
>will argue the de-normalizing data is always the way to go anyway, but
>unless you are data warehousing there is no need to do it.  It just
>creates poor database design.  You might be able to get away with using
>MySQL on some heavier projects, but that doesn't make it the right tool
>for the job.  As for your enterprise question, I classify enterprise
>level as an application (this is not limited to web applications) that
>is currently or possibly going to be under heavy load and needs to be
>distributed over multiple machines effectively.  The application needs
>to be scalable to decrease the risk of poor application performance with
>increasing loads.  As I said this is often misclassified because people
>throw the word around without cause.  Most applications don't have
>enterprise needs, which makes PHP a great choice for development.

It sounds like you should use PG.