[nycphp-talk] Paging through large result sets

(kris)janis p gale sharpwit at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 3 10:22:39 EDT 2002

> Yes, you're following correctly, every page turn would be a POST
> request, though there's no need for JavaScript that I can see.
> 'Next'/'Last' links just need to be in the form of good old-fashioned
> button or image elements. Personally I consider the maintenance of a
> form to be no more complicated than working with the query string.

buttons and images would be suitable, though.  however, in your method
you'd have to have a seperate <form> and seperate submit button for
every page.  instead of just writing a clever javascript handler change
a hidden page number field and doing the form.submit()

> If you want particular search results to be bookmarkable obviously it
> won't work.
> It was just a thought,

thoughts are good!
i actually wouldn't have even considered it had you not mentioned it.
and in some cases (intranet apps, for example) 'hiding' the id list
is definately preferable...  as well as preventing bookmarking.