[nycphp-talk] Oracle and gif storage

Tim Sailer sailer at bnl.gov
Thu Sep 5 15:51:53 EDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 03:44:33PM -0400, Analysis & Solutions wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 02:53:15PM -0400, Bill Patterson wrote:
> > Has anyone found a practical way to store .GIF files in Oracle (8i) using
> > PHP?
>
> Why store the images in the database when it's so much more efficient to
> store them on the hard drive and keep the file's path/name in the
> database?

Ease of housekeeping? I hate trying to keep images names straight.
If it's all in a single record, it's easy. www.nsiinnovations.com
has a MySQL backend for most of it, including the pictures and
related PDFs for download. I'm not sure what state the data is
in (not my site, I just did the programming), but there should
be something there to show how it works.

Tim

--
Tim Sailer <sailer at bnl.gov>
Application Services