Apache configuration question

Mike Myers myersm at optonline.net
Mon Sep 9 23:46:03 EDT 2002

Within our intranet, my department uses a WinNT sharevolume to store shared
documents, mostly PDFs and MS Office files.

I want to provide a web frontend that allows users to browse that
sharevolume, and the automatic directory indexing performed by Apache is
adequate. This also allows me to easily provide URLs to documents from
within email messages ( I despise 4MB PowerPoint attachments ).

I am running Apache on MacOSX, and the server is also running DAVE, which
allows me to mount the WinNT sharevolume.

Here's the rub: the files in the mounted directory are owned by my OSX user
account, not the "www" or "nobody" account usually applied to the Apache
instance.

I confirmed that I can browse the sharevolume if I make the necessary owner
and group change to the http.conf file, as well as include an Alias that
points to the mounted directory. But I wonder if that is a bad security
move.

Is there a safer way to configure this?

I could try changing the owner of the mounted sharevolume to "nobody", but I
don't know if that has any impact on the WinNT side of things. I will also
ask the folks at Thursby about this.

Thanks,

Mike M.