HTTP_REFERER does not work - alternatives?

Phil Powell soazine at erols.com
Wed Sep 18 01:39:28 EDT 2002

        http://valsignalandet.com/my/layout.html

Consider this:

I have this URL, dummy.html, that only has a link that you click onto that takes you to layout.html, a framed HTML document with one PHP script, layout_bottom.php.

This script, layout_bottom.php, attempts to capture the value of $HTTP_REFERER:

<?

 if (strlen($HTTP_REFERER) > 0)
  $refURL = $HTTP_REFERER;
 else
  $refURL = $SCRIPT_NAME;

?>

However, $HTTP_REFERER is always null, even when I came from dummy.html it is still null, never receiving the previous URL value.

Does anyone else out there know an alternative to $HTTP_REFERER? I've worked with it for years and it has constantly, CONSTANTLY failed me every single time, in PHP, TCL, ASP, Java, everything!  What else can I use to retain the previous URL that calls layout.html?

Thanx
Phil