tools for working with mp3/ogg

Michael Sims jellicle at inch.com
Sun Sep 29 16:11:08 EDT 2002

Hi, I'm looking for some info on the state of the art with regard to
working with mp3/ogg files with PHP.

End goals:

--database (preferably Postgresql) holding info about a library of
mp3/ogg files (preferably ogg)
--ability to dynamically create playlists, stream and stream 30-second
excerpts of these files

I don't really care about the front-end user interface part of this; I'll
write it.  I'm looking for tools to *work with* music files, both on
building the library and as part of the backend of the website when it's
operational - a tool to look at multiple music files and insert all of
the interesting information (title, bitrate, length, and so on) into a
database would be nice, for example.

I've heard of the Andromeda mp3 script, except it doesn't do nearly all
that I need to do, and it's commercial anyway.

Some tools I'm aware of:

--apache modules like mod_mp3
--perl libraries like Apache::mp3

Anything else?

Hmmm, while I was writing this email I came across Netjuke:

http://netjuke.sourceforge.net/

which looks very interesting, so I'll have to check that out.  And
reading the Netjuke page I see http://getid3.sourceforge.net/ , which
looks like the perfect solution to reading in the music files.
Excellent.  But I might as well throw this out there anyway.  :)

--
Michael Sims