[nycphp-talk] Internationaliz/sation - JSP vs. PHP

Mark Jia markjia at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 30 16:56:48 EDT 2002

I wrote my opnion before, but I think it lost in the talk at nyphp.org. I use oracle as the backend dabase,  but charset has to be set to utf8 when you create a databse, you can use this charset for all languages in oracle. There are two ways to process mitiple languages in php, one is you have two sest of codes put into two different directories. another is you can use a very very long arrary to hold all languages, then print them out depened on the "locale" variable.

 Joseph Annino wrote:I've had some luck with PHP and unicode, even without explicit support for
it in the language. I used mysql as the database backend, and used vlib
template to generate all my pages. Unicode text would pass through all of
these unharmed, and you could even do searches containing unicode
characters. Using a template system like vlib template, creating versions
of the site for different languages is as simple as using a different
template file. Just make sure you put a tag in the head section of the HTML
template to set the encoding appropriately, and use some GET or session
variable to specify the language.

Depending on what level of internationalization support you need, this may
be enough. You can get data in and out regardless of encoding so long as
you maintain consistent throughout.

On 9/26/02 10:42 AM, "Hans Zaunere" wrote:

> --- bruce at mtiglobal.com wrote:
>> I'm going to work on a site for a friend's translation company. His
>> company translates technical documents in 30+ asian/european
>> languages.
>> The site will be to market his company in different countries as well
>> as
>> have services for his translators.
>>
>> I've just begun to look through the tutorial on internationalization
>> at
>> java.sun.com as I begin thinking on the architecture of this site.
>> Is
>> there any similar documentation/tutorial online for php?
>
> There's a mailing list dedicated for the project:
>
> And the project itself:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/php-i18n/
>
>> Do any of you have experience developing multilingual web sites? If
>> yes, have you used JSP, PHP, or any other technology for this?
>
> I haven't done this sort of thing on this scale, but I have played
> around with the php.net/recode functions a bit and some of the
> different encodings. I know that there's a few people on this list
> that have used the internationalization before, too.

> http://sbc.yahoo.com

Regards

Mark Jia