[nycphp-talk] Problems writing session variables

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Thu Apr 3 16:06:52 EST 2003

--- Daniel Porcher <danporcher at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me why I can't successfully write out session variables.
>
> I'm test in a Windows AMP environment. I doublechecked the session folder
> in
> php.ini and I'm successfully creating and deleting the sessions themselves.
> When I look at the variables in the session file after I execute the code
> below, all I see is:
>
> !ses_user|
>

> The code:
>
> <?php
>
> session_start();
>
> loginuser();
>
> function loginuser()
> {
>
>    global $_POST;
>    global $_SESSION;

This is unneeded, and may be your problem (although I'm pretty PHP would just
ignore it).  $_POST and $_SESSION are superglobals: they are available in all
scopes.

>    $userid = $_POST['userid'];
>    $passwd = $_POST['passwd'];
>
>    //I validate user against DB here, if valid I write out session
> variables

Double check that you're actually getting what you expect:
var_dump($userid);
var_dump($passwd);

>    $_SESSION['ses_user'] = $userid;
>    $_SESSION['ses_access'] = odbc_result($rsSecurity,'AccessType');
>    $_SESSION['ses_orgtype'] = odbc_result($rsSecurity,'OrgType');
>    $_SESSION['ses_orgid'] = odbc_result($rsSecurity,'OrgID');

This should work, although I would double check that the odbc_result() calls
return what you expect before investigating it as session troubles first.
var_dump(); is your friend.