[nycphp-talk] removing and copying files with wildcards on free bsd

Chris Snyder chris at psydeshow.org
Sat Apr 12 01:53:16 EDT 2003

Peter Lehrer wrote:

>Is there a way in free bsd to rename or copy a whole group of files using
>wildcards. For instance, i've been trying
>
>mv *.htm *.php
>
>or
>
>mv sld???.htm sld???.php

Maybe a Unix guru will correct me, in which case I shall be happy to
learn, but I don't think there are any standard commands that do this.
There are, however, a number of shell scripts out there that do.

mvgp/cpgp: http://freshmeat.net/projects/mvgpcpgp/

ren: http://freshmeat.net/projects/ren/

>but have been unable to do it in free bsd. I know it works in dos.

Yeah, that's frustrating. I feel the same way every time I try to pipe
commands together in DOS. :-)

    chris.

--
do you have a photoblog yet?