[nycphp-talk] OT Javascript Question

D C Krook dkrook at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 4 16:04:57 EDT 2003

Kushner,

I don't think it's possible to simply get the contents of the file, but you
can get the innerText and innerHTML of many elements by tag or id.  That
process is pretty finicky too as it requires a cutting edge browser and well
formed HTML.

The easiest way that I can think to approach the problem (depending on
whether you can use PHP or whether your page content is determined before or
after page pre-processing) is to dump the results of a PHP readfile into the
JavaScript variable:

var pageContents = <? addslashes(readfile($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'])) ?>

If all else fails, this guide is pretty handy for JS DOM element reading:

http://krook.org/jsdom/