[nycphp-talk] mysql_insert_id Strangeness

Brian Pang bpang at bpang.com
Tue Aug 5 12:26:33 EDT 2003

ok, the C code is good for comparison and isolating where the problem
might be, or at least not with PHP...
good luck

> > using the mysql client, are you able to replicate the problem? meaning,
> > do you get the right mysql_insert_id when performing inserts in the
> > mysql client
>
> An illustrative C program (below) shows the same behavior, so it
doesn't seem to be anything with PHP.

behavior, from: http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/mysql_insert_id.html

> "Note that mysql_insert_id() returns 0 if the previous query does not
generate an AUTO_INCREMENT value..."

> As Carlos pointed out, this is a gross documentation ambiguity.  The
statement above is false according to the actual behavior, since an
INSERT that fails because of a UNIQUE index doesn't generate an
AUTO_INCREMENT value, yet mysql_insert_id() doesn't return 0.  This
seems like a new quirk, although I could be wrong.