[nycphp-talk] mysql_fetch_array question (was off-topic database...)

joshmccormack at travelersdiary.com joshmccormack at travelersdiary.com
Tue Aug 5 13:18:11 EDT 2003

On the subject of PHP, SQL, joins and the like, I encountered something a bit weird and wanted to see what all of you had to say on it.

 This is from the manual:

"mysql_fetch_array() is an extended version of mysql_fetch_row(). In
 addition to storing the data in the numeric indices of the result array,
 it also stores the data in associative indices, using the field names as
 keys.

  If two or more columns of the result have the same field names, the
 last column will take precedence. To access the other column(s) of the
 same name, you must use the numeric index of the column or make an alias
 for the column. For aliased columns, you cannot access the contents with
 the original column name (by using 'field' in this example)."

  so I have address fields, for example, that overwrite eachother. I
 either have to make up wacky names for the database columns, or I have
 to write out AS names for each (so using Select * is out). Now why
 wouldn't they throw in an option so your results have table names in
 front? So client.zip, owner.zip, etc. could all coexist? Doesn't that
 seem reasonable?

Josh