[nycphp-talk] Localizing Time Zones

D C Krook dkrook at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 12 15:24:26 EDT 2003

We've been looking for a good way to customize a web-based work flow tool so
that each user who logs in sees the time stamp of events in his own time
zone, not that of the server.

For example, a developer in India who is given a task can see when it was
assigned by the project manager in New York displayed in Bangalore time.
Similarly the PM would see when the work was done relative to New York time.
  Both users would see GMT as a frame of reference as well.

To implement this functionality, we've taken a look at Adam and David's PHP
Cookbook where they address this very problem (Chapter 3, Calculating Time
with Time Zones).

Their solution involves the temporary change of the TZ environment variable:

   "Calling putenv( ) before mktime( ) fools the system functions mktime( )
   uses into thinking they're in a different time zone. After the call to
mktime( ),
   the correct time zone has to be restored."

   function pc_mktime($tz,$hr,$min,$sec,$mon,$day,$yr) {
       putenv("TZ=$tz");
       $a = mktime($hr,$min,$sec,$mon,$day,$yr);
       putenv('TZ=EST5EDT');   // change EST5EDT to your server's time zone!
       return $a;
   }

This seems to be the solution we're after, but we're concerned about whether
this is thread safe, particularly in the context of a heavy load server with
lots of users redefining the TZ environment variable simultaneously.

The documentation of putenv() says the the environment variable will revert
to its original value after the request, and we understand that explicitly
resetting it as in the function above will offer a little better protection,
but should we still worry that one user's putenv will clash with another's?
If so, what is a better solution to time zone localization?

Thanks in advance,
-Dan

Daniel Christer Krook
http://krook.net/ || http://krook.info/