[nycphp-talk] I need a function that will compare IP addresses

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Mon Aug 18 12:51:36 EDT 2003

--- Phil Powell <soazine at erols.com> wrote:
> have written a function that is supposed to compare the first three
> nodes of an IP address, but it is riddled with errors that I have
> given up trying to figure out.
>
> Is there an existing function out there that can do this? I want to
> compare "127.0.0.1" with "127.0.0.100" and come with as a "match",
> or "127.0.0.1" with "127.0.0.1", but no "match if "127.0.0.1" and
> "127.255.0.0".

This probably isn't the best solution, since it's just ad hoc email coding
(untested, etc.), but it seems a bit better than what you were trying:

$ip1 = '127.0.0.1';
$ip2 = '127.0.0.2';

$ip1_array = explode('.', $ip1);
$ip2_array = explode('.', $ip2);

$ip1_array['3'] = '';
$ip2_array['3'] = '';

$ip1 = implode('.', $ip1_array);
$ip2 = implode('.', $ip2_array);

if ($ip1 == $ip2)
{
     echo "First three octets are identical\n";
}

I'm sure there is a cooler way to compare the two using logical bitwise stuff,
but this might be easier to understand.

Hope that helps.

Chris

=====
Become a better Web developer with the HTTP Developer's Handbook
http://httphandbook.org/