[nycphp-talk] Single-Logon User Authentication, PHP and viewing non-ASCII

Chris Snyder csnyder at chxo.com
Mon Aug 18 15:28:36 EDT 2003

One way to do it is to store the locked-down content outside of the
document root, and then use a php script as a gatekeeper-- if a user
requests a file, the script checks authentication, sends an appropriate
Content-type header, and then outputs the file.

If you decide to go that route, you need to figure out how to call the
gatekeeper script:

Easy way:
http://example.com/gatekeeper.php?file=realtive/path/to/file.pdf

Harder, using Apache location directive (see below):
http://example.com/gatekeeper/path/to/file.pdf

For the second example to work, you'd need the following in httpd.conf
(Location directives aren't allowed in htaccess):
<Location /gatekeeper>
    ForceType application/x-httpd-php
</Location>

Warning-- make sure your gatekeeper script doesn't allow the user to
access a file outside of the content directory. Always prepend a content
root and reject any paths with .. in them, otherwise you may end up with
someone asking for ../../../etc/passwd

    chris.