[nycphp-talk] PHP DLOpen Vulnerability WAS: php problems from SecurityFocus Newsletter # 210

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Tue Aug 19 16:43:16 EDT 2003

Analysis & Solutions wrote:

> Howdy Again:
>
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:09:27AM -0400, Analysis & Solutions wrote:
>
>>Is this a function that's used by PHP internals or something?
>

> As it turns out, yes it is something in PHP's source code.  I wrote
> Security Focus to have them clarify such in the database/webpage and to
> fix the broken links to the exploit code.  They responded accordingly.

As Max pointed out, dlopen() will load a shared object, akin to dl() in PHP-land (IIRC).  But I still don't see how this is a valid security hole.  When you load a shared object, its implied that it'll have access to the process.  It's like saying: my apartment's front door is a vulnerability because when I invite someone in, they can see my apartment.

It's quite possible I'm missing something, but I wish securityfocus.com would acknowledge this as erroneous.  Although I'm not holding my breath.