[nycphp-talk] security? we don't need no stinkin security!

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Tue Dec 2 10:57:55 EST 2003

--- Tim Gales <tgales at tgaconnect.com> wrote:
> I have been meaning to take a look at the following:
> http://www.yabbse.org/
>
> It is a php conversion of YABB

That sounds interesting. I might go check out a demo.

To be fair, FUDforum is pretty good. My complaints with it are:

1. Too complicated to use (maybe partly because of point 2)
2. Fugly! They need someone like Jeff Knight to completely redo the entire
presentation layer.

Underneath, it's really not so bad, and it's insanely fast.

> What caught my eye was the following quote from the yabbse.org page:
> "I checked my bandwidth with YaBB SE and its over 2 days 338 mb.
> When I had YaBB gold it was close to a GIG a day"
>
> If the guy who said that is really on the level (I don't doubt his
> honesty but there may have been fewer users doing fewer things)
> that would mean PHP is approaching six times more efficient than
> Perl.

I don't think he means more efficient. Bandwidth usage like that only
suggests that YaBB SE spits out less markup. That's a good thing, but it
could (theoretically) take twice as long to do so. :-)

Chris

=====
Chris Shiflett - http://shiflett.org/

PHP Security Handbook