[nycphp-talk] Form field length vs. Database field length

Hans Zaunere hans at newyorkphp.com
Mon Dec 22 14:40:29 EST 2003

> > That is to say, only call htmlspecialchars() when you're
> about to display the data, rather than before storing it.
>
> That is probably what we will end up doing, but I don't like it.  I
> would rather only mess with the data when it is submitted but
> it doesn't seem like that is going to be possible.

I hear that, although see it differently.  The type of data messing you
speak of is a display issue that's not related to the data itself.  If
data accuracey is important, as it generally is, and is in this case,
you wouldn't want to store transformed data, i.e., it's impossible to
ever know what the original data was.  Just different ways of looking at
it.