[nycphp-talk] need help with magic-quotes for PHundamentals

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Tue Dec 30 10:07:33 EST 2003

David Mintz writes:
"...Maybe it's in the same bag
as register_globals -- i.e., seemed like a good idea at the time..."

from http://www.php.net/release_4_1_0.php
"...we've decided to attempt a far-reaching change,
and deprecate register_globals..."

I don't know of movement to deprecate the 'magic' stuff.

magic quotes provides another way to 'skin the cat' --
i.e. it is a non-orthogonal language feature.

Orthogonality comes from the mathematic property of some arrays.
"Of or relating to a matrix whose transpose equals its inverse"
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=orthogonal

Harry Fuecks suggests:
That if you never use stripslashes you can avoid doing things
the 'six way' in places and the 'half a dozen way' in others.
(at least that's my interpetation)

You can read it at:
http://www.webmasterstop.com/tutorials/magic-quotes.shtml
if you\'re interested.

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com