[nycphp-talk] Software experts find MySQL code exceptionally clean

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Wed Dec 31 13:07:49 EST 2003

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Hans Zaunere wrote:

> I *seem* to remember at one point there was an audit in process from a
> couple OpenBSD folks of PHP.  I'm not sure where it stands, or even if
> it's continuing.  Maybe we can push reasoning to take on the complete
> AMP suite (Apache is probably pretty well set, but PHP would benefit
> from it).

I seem to remember seeing something on Slashdot about an audit of Apache
2.something where they found it had substantially more... what do they
call them?  D/KLSC (for Defects per Thousand Lines of Source Code)? ...
than Apache 1.3.something. Then came the musings and speculation:  you
know how we anthropomorphize software all the time (it 'complains',
'dies', you 'kill' a process, it 'thinks' this or 'doesn't care' about
that...). Well perhaps the life cycle metaphor is more apt than we
thought. Could it be that software -- even the venerable Apache httpd --
eventually gets old and starts losing its teeth, libido,.etc.?

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

        "Anybody else got a problem with Webistics?" -- Sopranos 24:17