[nycphp-talk] printer_list

DeWitt, Michael mjdewitt at alexcommgrp.com
Wed Feb 5 10:56:41 EST 2003

We have a need to print documents (TIFF files) that reside on a linux server
via a browser.  Since you didn't say what kind of server, nor what kind of
document, my suggestions may not apply.

An approach that might be suitable is to write out the html to a file and
use a script like html2ps to render the page in postcript so that it can be
printed from the server.  If it's not an html page that you need printed,
there are lots of conversion utilities out there such as tiff2ps, gif2ps and
so on.  Many document types can be handled automagicially by ghostscript.

Where things get hairy is in setting printer options (under Linux anyway)
where you may need to pull paper from tray 3, output to bin 2, duplexed,
landscape.  Perhaps printer handling has improved a bit in later distros,
but for RH 6.2, it was build your own.

Mike