[nycphp-talk] What breaks in 4.3?

Ophir Prusak ophir at prusak.com
Thu Feb 6 12:10:33 EST 2003

I was thinking of installing apache2.0 + php on a heavily loaded machine
because of apache 2.0's multi-threaded option.
Specifically, it's running out of memory.

The info at http://dan.drydog.com/apache2php.html specifically says ONLY to
use the prefork MPM with PHP.
Anyone know where I can find more info on this ?

. Multi-Processing Module (MPM)
This handles multiple web server requests. Apache 2 has various MPM flavors,
including multi-threading. For now, on Linux (and even UNIX), only use the
(default) prefork module. This is done at compile time. Other MPM modules
break PHP and other modules. Also Linux 2.4 doesn't handle threads
efficiently (wait until Linux 2.6).