[nycphp-talk] Output name of Variable

Jim Musil jim at nettmedia.com
Mon Feb 10 12:24:37 EST 2003

Yes, you are right, I would already know the name, but I thought it was
silly that I had to enter it twice.

For instance, I have a function similar to this ...

    function bug($var,$label) {

        echo " $label<pre>";
        print_r($var);
        echo "</pre>";

    }

... And I use it liberally to trace variables and debug:

As in

    if($DEBUG) bug($foo,"THIS IS FOO AND IT SHOULD EQUAL ONE");

But, I thought it was silly that I had to write the name twice, because
sometimes it's obvious what the variable is...

    bug($number_of_rows);

And I wanted to have my output be

    $number_of_rows: 5

The closest solution is to send the variable name without the $.

    function bug($var) {

        global $$var;

        echo "$".$var;

        echo "<pre>";
        print_r($$var);
        echo "</pre>";

    }

    bug("foo");

To me, this is kind of silly, too.

It just seems like there should be a simple function to do this. It should
be part of print_r(), which already will say what type of object it is and
will spell out the names of the object variables and associative array keys.

How hard would it have been for them to print out the name of the variable?

Jim Musil
<jim at nettmedia.com>
Nettmedia, Senior Developer
345 Seventh Ave., 24th Floor.