[nycphp-talk] flush usage

Jeremy Hise jhise at nextsource.com
Thu Feb 13 13:53:40 EST 2003

I think ultimately it's up to the client end (browser) even though once I realized that breaking up my one giant table into smaller tables would cause the browser to render each table as it was sent. But that was unpredictable based on browser and browser version and I hated it because it affected the way I coded.

hise

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:26:11 -0500
Carlos Hoyos <cahoyos at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> (sorry if this gets posted twice, I had sent it on Monday but never saw it
> on the list.)
>

> I have a page that deals with a lengthy process, so I'm using flush to
> "push" the content as it's processed and give the user a feeling of page
> "in process":
> Something like this
>

> #start
>
> initialization();
>
> foreach($urlList as $url){
>

>       // execute a lengthy process...
>       doLengthyProcess();
>       printResults();
>
>       // flush to get the "partial" results displayed.
>       print str_repeat(" ", 3000) . "\
";
>       flush();
>
> }
>
> restOfScript();
>

> But it's not working... blank page until the end of execution.  I believe
> it's more of a server / client issue (rather than php), and have to do some
> homework on this; but I thought it would be nice to see if anybody wants to
> share ideas or suggestions on how you've worked with this situations in the
> past.
>
> I'm running php4.3.0,  IBMHTTPServer (ibm's apache build), no mod_gzip,
> over Linux... testing on IE 5.0, Netscape 4.7 and Opera 6.0... all failed.
> The 3000 in the str_repeat is just any number... just trying to fill any
> buffers that might be preventing this from working properly.
>
> txs,
>

> Carlos

 | jhise at nextsource.com |
 | developer            |