[nycphp-talk] Replacing a string within many tables, unknown columns

Andrew M. Yochum andrew at digitalpulp.com
Fri Feb 14 11:12:30 EST 2003

Here's one way of accomplishing this...

1. Use mysql_list_tables to grab a list of tables.

2. Use mysql_list_fields + mysql_num_fields to grab a list of fields per table.

3. Use mysql_field_type to find the fields of the type you want to manipulate
(char, varchar, text, etc.)

3. Compile an update statement using the mysql "replace" function to perform
the search an replace. Something like:
    update thetable set data = replace(data,'old_string','new_string');

Another way might be to do a mysqldump of the DB, replace strings in that file,
and load the edited file into the production DB.

Hope that helps.

Andrew