[nycphp-talk] Denying multiple logins to restricted pages

DeWitt, Michael mjdewitt at alexcommgrp.com
Wed Feb 26 13:55:27 EST 2003

Ophir,

I have never done anything like this yet, but it is a concern on my list of
things to do some day.

one policy issue which may or may not affect you is whether to allow
multiple logins from the same IP.  With corprations behind a nating router,
its hard to know if this one user with two sessions or two users.

Another example of how things can look abusive: a corporate joe fires up
your site and logs in via the corporate network and then launches AOL  and
surfs to your site again via the AOL network.  He will appear to be coming
from two IP addresses with logins perhaps minutes apart.

I currently log userid/ipaddress/pageinfo to a table and eye ball it for
abuse by running counts by user.  So far I haven't seen anything abusive,
but I would love to be able to fully automate this.

Mike