[nycphp-talk] Denying multiple logins to restricted pages

Mark Armendariz nyphp at enobrev.com
Thu Feb 27 12:15:38 EST 2003

I had actually done the same thing on the fore-mentioned intranet.  The
hidden refresh is Definitely an effective way to maintain a short session,
although it does give a slight hit to bandwidth, and also the users with the
nice speakers hated ie's "clicking" on every refresh.

But in reading this I also remembered another solution that came to mind,
which I had never actually tried, but thought might work well.  On one of my
side projects, I had created a socket based chat.  The backend is php (I
started it with perl, but i'm more comfortable with php).  It basically runs
in the bg on my server waiting for socket connections to a specific port.
The chat client is using flashmx' socket goodies (using xml_sockets for
those keeping score).

Now, I know this sounds a bit in depth for user tracking, but the best part
of it is, no matter how flash closes, be it refresh, browser crash, etc, the
socket connection always closes.  So if the connection doesn't reopen within
say 30 - 60 seconds, it can be expected that the user logged off or is
having connection issues and that their session can be closed off.

If you're interested in trying it, I've seen a few socket server scripts out
there.  I have a class I written, but I still have some debugging to do on
it.
Here's some info on it:
http://www.devshed.com/Client_Side/Flash/XMLSockets/page1.html

I guess I may give it a shot eventually.. Once I find a decent gig to keep
my landlord happy.

Mark