[nycphp-talk] Using PHP on Linux with Oracle

Jeremy Hise jhise at nextsource.com
Thu Feb 27 15:46:32 EST 2003

We run Apache/PHP with Oracle here. We never install apache/php using the RH Installer. Instead we install everything from source.

Maybe you have two different PHP's installed? Maybe when you reinstalled PHP, you got yourself another one. THat's what it sounds like. Personally, if I where you, I would uninstall the apache and php rpms and then go and reinstall from source...but that's because that is my experience. the php INSTALL instructions are really good...basically you do:

apache -> configure
php -> configure with-apache with-oci8
php -> make
php -> make install
apache -> configure activate-module libphp4
apache -> make
apache -> make install

See the PHP INSTALL for exact details.

Anyway, after doing that, we had to set up our TNSNAMES file for Oracle because the actual oracle database is on another server. Secondly, the oracle installer sucks becuase it seems you need to be able to run X11 for their Java installer..and it is a million megs...totally uncalled for. If you are running the database locally, you may not need to set up your TNSNAMES files.

Good luck..

(around here, we call it whoracle)

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:07:40 -0500
Peter Balogh <palexanderbalogh at yahoo.com> wrote:

> We've had good experiences with our LAMP server but recently ran into a
> snag involving Oracle. We downloaded and installed the 800-meg software
> bundle from Oracle, which is supposed to allow direct communication
> between a PHP script and an Oracle database. (The client libraries were
> not divisible from the entire bundle--hence the massive install.)
>
> We recompiled Apache and PHP using the recommended flags for Oracle
> installation.  When we execute our Oracle-accessing PHP scripts using
> the PHP command line interpreter, they work fine.  When we try to
> access those same scripts as web pages, they work not at all.  Error
> messages say that "OCI functions are not found."
>
> Our PHP/Apache/Linux installers came straight from the Red Hat 7.2
> package.  Are we running afoul of version problems?  Is there some
> trick to installing the Oracle client software?
>
> Please share your experiences...
>
> --Peter

 | jhise at nextsource.com |
 | developer            |