[nycphp-talk] Apache/PHP Authentication

paul at weinberg.com paul at weinberg.com
Fri Jan 17 11:13:46 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm certainly not an authority on the subject, but it
feels like you need to be at a lower level within
Apache then PHP will get you to.

I would try to use mod_perl to do this, in effect
writing an Apache module in perl.

good luck,

Paul

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, "Griffith Feeney" wrote:

> I would like to use Apache authentication to password
> protect certain
> directories that contain mostly binary files. With
> 1600+ users, I don't
> want to authenticate against a text file, especially
as
> there is already a
> mysql database available for the purpose. The
> webhosting provider doesn't
> provide mod_auth.
>
> I'm thinking of using a PHP page to authenticate
> against the mysql database
> and, once a user is authenticated, have the PHP page
> send the server an
> htaccess user name and password. The latter would be
> changed from time to
> time, but would be the same for all users. High
> security is not required
> here.
>
> I've spent many hours reading around on the web on the
> subject, but don't
> find anything along these lines, and being a rank
> beginner in PHP, I don't
> want to spend time trying to implement this idea if it
> is unworkable.
>
> Does anybody know of an implementation, or have an
idea

href="http://mail.weinberg.com/jump/http://nyphp.org/list">http://nyphp.org/list</a>/ ---