[nycphp-talk] New York PHP become the Official Zend Beta Tester Gang!!

Sterling Hughes sterling at bumblebury.com
Fri Jan 17 15:13:08 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 14:54, Shawn Lawyer wrote:
> I had no issues with Zend studio. I said this many times before, it's my
> editor of choice for php. the only part I have a problem with is the
> language it's written in. I'm all for java but, not on a full scale dev
> studio
> like this. it's starts, runs and closes slower than any other dev studio
> I've
> ever used and uses up so many resources on my puter,so even with 512
> on a P3 1.2ghz I can't run and do as many things as I like at once without
> drastically slowing down ZS. now like I said it's a good program and it's
> not Zend's fault that my computer isn't fast enough to run ZS efficiently,
> but
> I think there whole way of doing it is wrong. what's even funnier, the only
> reason I could see using java for this would be cross platform usage but
> if that was the case it's would be a all java.swing even thought's uses
> some classes form java.lang. so my whole point is why use an os
> independent language if you're going to write os dependant code.
> shawn lawyer

That's wierd.  I have a P3 700 Mhz compaq armada with 320 MB of ram, and
Zend Studio 2.6 b runs fast on my system, and I average around 50-60 gui
apps per session: at least 3 emacs windows, divided again into multiple
buffers, 10-12 aterms, evolution, mozilla (5-6 copies), gaim, xchat,
openoffice (3-4 copies), straw, and then any non-standard programs on
top of that.  I'm not even counting the shell programs I run regularly,
vi, ssh, gcc, autoconf, find, apt-get.  Any operating system that can't
handle Zend Studio with those specs, should be taken out and shot.

As for os independence, it supports FreeBSD, OSX, Linux and Windows
flawlessly; I don't know what you define as platform independent, but
that combination works for me :-)

-Sterling

"A business that makes nothing but money is a poor kind of business."
    - Henry Ford